Malta to Athens
- Arrive in Valletta, Malta’s capital. A UNESCO World Heritage site, explore the splendid concentration of history and architecture.
- At the Upper Barraca Gardens, enjoy the picturesque view of the Grand Harbour.
- Stop by Anchor Bay and visit The Popeye Village, built for the 1980 film Popeye.
- Watch glassblowers at Ta’ Qali Crafts Village as they create finicio glass.
- Hop to the Blue Lagoon on the island of Comino, and then look through the Azure Window on the island of Gozo.
- Try the local food in the old city of Mdina, the former capital of Malta. Bite into pastizzi and lampuki fish.
Athens to Cyclades
- Discover ancient Athens at the Acropolis, in the Plaka neighborhood, in Syntagma Square, and in the temple of Zeus.
- Taste souvlaki (small pieces of meat and sometimes vegetables grilled on a skewer) and moussaka (layers of meat and eggplant topped with a Béchamel white sauce, and baked).
- Stand above the Corinth Canal cutting deeply through the Isthmus of Corinth.
- At Mycenae, surveyone of the most important and most famous archaeological sites in Greece.
- Head to El Pireo Port and board the ferry to Mykonos.
Cyclades to Ephesus
- Breathe deeply and relax in Mykonos, set in the heart of the Cyclades Islands. Gaze over bare hills and take in the sandy beaches, white country chapels and the Cycladic architecture.
- Board the ferry and cruise from Mykonos to Samos Island. Then, explore Samos by car.
- Go for a swim and enjoy the natural beaches.
- Arrive by boat in Kuşadası, Turkey.
Ephesus to Istanbul
- Start in Ephesus, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Explore numerous important sites, such as the Temple of Artemis, the Library of Celsus, The House of the Virgin Mary and the Cave of the Seven Sleepers.
- Drive to the city of Izmir, one of the most beautiful in the Aegean Region.
- In the Bayraklı and Kadifekale districts, wander through sophisticated houses, sacred structures and monumental fountains that have survived since the 11th century.
- Fly to Istanbul and discover Nuruosmaniye, Çemberlitas, the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia.
- Cross the Golden Horn Bridge and stop for coffee at Karaköy. Then, head to Tünel and the Galata Tower for a spectacular view of Istanbul.
- Board a flight to Cyprus.
Istanbul to Cyprus
- In the old town of Nicosia, explore an authentic and cosmopolitan mix of cultures.
- Make your way to Troodos Mountain. Experience the nine distinct Byzantine churches there, all declared UNESCO World Heritage sites.
- Take in the symbols and sounds at the Kykkos Monastery and its ten UNESCO churches.
- Explore expansive beaches and coastline at Lara Bay, Paphos and Aphrodite’s rock.
- Scuba dive in the clear waters of the Mediterranean Sea at the Amathus archaeological site, the most ancient settlement on the island.
- Be sure to taste halloumi and enjoy a traditional mezé along with Cyprus wines.
Before you go
- Do not forget your passport and get the phone number of your embassy just in case.
- Plan your location for a seaside view. Watch the sun go down with a bottle of wine.
- Try the best-known Greek food, gyros, a folded type of sandwich with pork or chicken sticks, potatoes, onions, tomatoes and tzatziki sauce.
- If you are in a restaurant in Turkey, the expected tip is 10% of the bill.
- When you visit a mosque, wear modest and conservative clothing. Don’t wear shorts. Footwear is not important as you’ll be removing it before entering the mosque.
- In Turkey, when you bring cash, make sure that none of the bills have any rips in them. Bills could be refused.
- Learn a few Cypriot and Greek words to help you get to know the locals.
- Take caution when photographing. In some areas this is strictly prohibited.